All Saints Anglican Church North Parramatta
All Saints' for All People
 
"For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 3:11 (NIV)
 
Heritage
mobile version Follow us on facebook

Heritage


A History Of All Saints

All Saints was built on land left in the will of the Reverend Samuel Marsden. Who also bequeathed 200 pounds for the erection of the building. The building was designed by James Houison and was started in 1846, and was completed in 1847. The church was consecrated by Bishop Broughton of Sydney on January 27th, 1848.

As it was too small for the congregation, it was extended in 1862, and the steeple was added.

All Saints is one of the most beautiful Churches in Sydney and represents one of the best examples of Victorian Academic Gothic style of architecture among our early Australian churches.

1822 —

Rev. Samuel Marsden chose the land, gifted it to the church and later bequeathed Two Hundred Pounds to build it.

1838 —

A new parish was established called the Field of Mars, later known as Marsfield.Rev. Robert Forrest, the first headmaster of The Kings School, was appointed assistant minister of the parishes of St Johns and Field of Mars.

23rd May 1846 —

The Foundation Stone was laid, eight years after Marsden’s death.

Sunday 31st October 1847 —

The Church opened for Worship, with seating for 500 persons.

Thursday 27th January 1848  —

All Saints was consecrated by Bishop Broughton, Bishop of Sydney.

1850 —

The church was found to be too small.

1857 —

An All Saints’ School was built corner of Sorrel and Albert Street  - later moved to be beside the Memorial Hall.

1859 —

Edmund Blackett was consulted, and a decision  made to add two more bays to the church, move the chancel eastwards and build the vestry in its present position on the south side of the chancel.

1st June 1861 —

Operations began to erect a spire.

1862 —

The Church as it stands today was completed.

9th October 1926 —

All Saints Memorial Hall opened.

22nd July 2012 —

All Saints’ Anglican Ministry Centre opened.

 from History of All Saints’ Church—Pat Dorsch 1979

                                                     

All Saints' Church Building

All Saints Church

All Saints is one of the most beautiful Churches in Sydney and represents one of the best examples of Victorian Academic Gothic style of architecture among our early Australian churches. It was built on land left in the will of the Reverend Samuel Marsden, who also bequeathed 200 pounds for the erection of the building. The building was designed by James Houison and was started in in 1846 and completed in 1847. The church was consecrated by Bishop Broughton of Sydney on January 27th, 1848.

As it was too small for the congregation, it was extended in 1862, and the steeple was added. 

 

All Saints' War Memorial Hall

The All Saints War Memorial Hall was built by Parishioners in 1926. For many years it was the larger of the two Parish halls, which were next to the tennis courts. About 30 years ago, the War Memorial Hall had some major changes, Toilets were added and the kitchen was refurbished. 

 

The Stained Glass Windows

Stained Glass Window

The stained glass windows have been ranked as some of the most impressive in Australia. The main window above the Communion Table is dedicated in memory of the Rev. Robert Forrest, the first headmaster of the King's School, Parramatta in the early 1840's and also an assistant minister of St John's (with responsibility for the Christians meeting on the north side of Parramatta River).

Another magnificent window, above what is now the organ loft, was unveiled and dedicated in 1946 by the Duke of Gloucester and the Archbishop of Sydney. This was a gift of the parishioners in grateful remembrance of the Pioneers of the church, and it depicts the Ascension of our Lord. The last words recorded from the lips of Jesus before He went up into heaven were "You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria and to the ends of the earth" (Acts 1:8).

 

All Saints Plaque

All Saints' Bells

The ring of bells at All Saints is a full octave rung in the traditional English fashion with rope and wheel. All Saints is one of only 45 churches in Australia that has such a ring and is one of the oldest. The largest (tenor) bell weighs about 11 cwt (550 kgs).

Traditional English change ringing is practiced at All Saints and the team rings each Sunday for service and practice on Wednesday evenings (7.15 - 8.30). A new member on the team requires a year to come up to Service ringing standard and at least another year to become anything like an expert. Visitors are always welcome on Wednesday evenings.

 

 
  Services Location Site Map Contact Parish Office  
 
 
Copyright © 2014 All Saints Anglican Church North Parramatta